Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Blind Justice?

So this ain't for Org Comm but it was an interesting thing to consider for me so I thought I would post it on my blog and, ya know, be cool like that.
In my Juvenile Delinquency class we read an essay called "Roughnecks and the Saints" by Chambliss. We were then asked to write a paper about blind justice-being exactly fair in all our dealings even if it seems like doing something else will be okay or even better. This is what fell out of meh brain.

Blind Justice

Chambliss' article on the saints and the roughnecks questions how one should balance between mercy and justice, a problem as old as the dust of the earth and only solved by deity. At what point do we cut off the mercy given to those who make a minor mistake? At what point do we extend mercy to those who exhibit ceaseless disregard? At what point can mercy make or brake the placebo affect of young people? Is clear cut fairness the path to equality or does subjective judgment derive appropriate actions? Is equality fair? Is equality the best path? Should justice be blind?

Before I can decide how to be blindly just I wonder if I should be more exacting in my judgments then is my natural inclination, to keep me blind and fair, or if I should be exceedingly liberal in my decisions to account for the unbalanced justice forced on individuals. To clarify; Should I bear harder judgments on not only the roughnecks but the saints as well to insure that my doings are equally harsh? Or do I perhaps extend more understanding to the roughnecks, and extra austerity to the saints so as to make up the difference between what the rest of society deals them? I naturally think to keep judgments respective but is that what is fair? Is fair best?

I submit that what mankind can create as fair is anything but such. God created each individual diversely, and placed them on earth with differences. But decisions made by any person creates consequences, this being the definition of justice; every choice has a repercussion. I am led to follow the chronological order to make my choice then; each individual has great worth in Gods eyes, demanding mercy, but each person must meet the aftermath of their functioning. I believe it is morally upright then to extend a surplus of mercy to the seemingly 'roughneck' type, and exact firm, rigid, and stern assessment with those of the “saints.”

2 comments:

  1. I agree that everyone is different and so are situtaions. The actions we make do have consequences and we can't run away from them. People who do not know right from wrong or are ignorant or just had no idea I think don't need harsh judgements. People who do have the knowledge of what's right and wrong should have a punishment fitting to the crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am a Senior at BYU-I right now. I am in Brother Stokes Juv. Del. class and we are studying Blind Justice right now! I cam across your blog while doing some research and thought about how ironic it was that you blog came up for me! Your blog gave me some good insight and understanding on blind justice.

    ReplyDelete